City of Rainier

Albert and Maria Gehrke were among the first settlers to the area of Rainier, homesteading here in 1890. In 1891 George Ellsbury of Binghampton, New York, platted the town site, thus producing the name of the main street through town, BinghamHistory of Rainier, WApton Street, which is State Route 507. In 1906, The Bob White Lumber Mill opened and brought with it prosperous times a growth in the town. Later, Linstrom and Handforth Lumber located here along with the Des Chutes Lumber, Gruber and Doucherty, and Fir Tree Lumber. The city was served by both Milwaukee and Northern Pacific Railroads. A series of devastating fires in the late 1920’s and 1930’s destroyed several mills and town buildings. Later, many residents worked for the Weyerhaeuser Timber Company in Vail. Rainier was incorporated in 1947. We are still small in size, but have an outstanding community of local residents, military and people who want a small town atmosphere but still close to the big city. We are located just 15 minutes south of the Olympia area. Come see what the City of Rainier has to offer, great schools, views of Mt Rainier, and community.

Historical Photos

  • Halloween In the Park
    October 31, 2014 at 04:30 PM
  • American Legion Meeting
  • Senior Center Lunch
  • Senior Center Lunch
  • SE Thurston Fire Authority Commissioners Meeting
  • Rainier Lions
  • Senior Center Lunch
  • Council Meeting
  • Yelm Chamber of Commerce Luncheon
  • Rainier Community Cares Meeting


See Calendar